Moving
I spent a few days at D(the younger)'s house while looking for an apartment in Lexington. My best results came from using Craigslist. I am now in the Raquet Club (yes a bit expensive, but with the gym/raquetball courts here, losing weight will be quite a bit easier). My roommate, Rick, is an older guy that works in small-time real estate, which he's getting bored of, and has a small cleaning business on the side. He has two dogs, which are very clean and well-behaved. Their worst qualities is that they always like to be around me when I'm there, which isn't bad as long as they don't get in my way.
Work
I've went back to RGIS, the inventory company I used to work at last time I was in Lexington. They've made a few stricter rules, and have raised their expectations for how fast we work, but its not too bad. I'm usually a tiny bit above average anyways. The worst part will be that we're not given a check or using direct deposit anymore. We've been given a debit card that will be able to access the account our money will be going to. And, of course, there's fees up the wazoo for actually using it for anything other than a debit card. (i.e. trying to get the money out so you can put it in your main account will cost at least $2.00 in fees) It might make it more convenient, though. I'll probably just use it when getting gas and groceries. Since their 'on-season' usually only lasts until late March/April, I'll be looking for a job more along the lines of accounting/bookkeeping/desk-work at that point.
School
For those who haven't heard already, I have been accepted to UK! It will be a semester or two until I'm actually accepted into the school of Business and Economics (once I get my GPA back up), but hopefully it shouldn't be too hard. If there's one thing I've learned so far, it's a lot easier to go to classes when it's a REAL college. Community colleges really do bring me down. Worst thing so far is the cold weather. I ended up getting frostbite on my right thumb, which is now half-covered in blisters. I have since purchased gloves and a good face-mask (both from the bike shop here, so it should be a lot better than the usual cheap ski-masks we grew up with).
Economics 391 - Taught by a grad student, who runs marathons, and is even scheduling a day off for running the Boston Marathon. She seems to be a good teacher so far. The class itself is a continuation of Statistics 291, so basically, we'll be mixing economics with statistics. It should be quite fun.
Accounting 201 - (Basic Accounting) Taught by a 60 year old guy that's going back for his PHD in Accounting. (this being after he has a law degree/passing the bar). He seems to be quite the interesting teacher. The class should be the funnest and easiest class I'll have for the rest of school. Luckily, our grade will only be based on 4 multiple choice tests.
English 203 - (Business Writing) is taught by a student working on her PHD in English. She will teach us a lot about 'being a professional' as she calls it. She doesn't like to make eye contact with students unless she's talking directly to somebody. The class will be a bit challenging, but rewarding as well. It will be the first time since early high school that a teacher actually preferred that all assignments be single-spaced.
Geography 160 - Taught by an Irish/Scottish guy that looks like a reformed bum. Very lively though. It will be my hardest class to stay awake in. And not having a book will make it interesting as well..
Economics 202 - (Macroeconomics) Taught by a thin version of Robin Williams. And yes, he does seem to get crazy/wild at times. I fell asleep through most of his introductory speech, but it should be a fun class.
Accounting and the Eco 202 are taught in auditorium-sized rooms and the other classes are taught in smaller rooms (though each of them hold around 45). Books so far have costed $480, and I still have one book to get. Being back in Lexington is nice. It actually seems alive, as opposed to the Ashland area. Well, we'll see how everything turns out.

GOOD JOB, JON!! I'm impressed with you getting everything done that you need to. RGIS sounds like an interesting company; i've NEVER heard of that method of 'paying' an employee!
ReplyDeleteAnd,... whats up with the frostbite!? Take care of yourself JON! (words from the stand-in mommy side of me ;-)
Good to hear from you; do you work weekends - or would you be interested in making it down for dinner sometime?
That method of payment is crazy. Was the frostbite from biking? Is it really that cold? You have a pretty deep schedule, i don't think id be able to handle all the serious classes. oh, and i might have already passed the 5 limit, cause within the first 2 weeks i've skipped 4. but ill try harder not to ;)
ReplyDelete